An already chaotic road in Kendall will see more congestion this weekend as construction crews continue installing a 48-inch water pipe line along 117th Avenue.
Construction at the intersection of Kendall Drive and 117th Avenue will begin Friday night at 8 p.m. and will continue through Monday at noon. The road will be closed in both directions.
The busy intersection is home to many many shops and eateries, including The Palms at Town & Country shopping mall. Kendall resident Chris Cabrerra said he usually avoids the area - and is bracing for a mess this weekend.
"I’m trying to get lunch right now and it took a lot longer than I thought it would," he said the afternoon before the closures took place. "I can’t imagine what it’s going to be like this weekend."
But the changes in the road are for good reason. They are part of the growing water infrastructure. The new pipe line, which will stretch from Miller Road to Coral Reef Drive, will be a main feeder pipe for the Kendall region. County water officials say the pipe will make water delivery to its residents easier in the long run, but won't be complete until April of 2020.
For now, local businesses in the area say the closures might cost them. Claire Callejo is the manager at Kairos Hair Salon at the intersection of Kendall Drive and 117th Avenue.
"I’m just nervous about the cancellations, that affects our pockets a lot," said Callejo.
Here are the detours:
- Westbound traffic will be detoured at SW 107 Avenue to SW 72 Street
- Eastbound traffic will be detoured at SW 127 Avenue to SW 104 Street
- Southbound traffic will be detoured at SW 72 Street to SW 127 Avenue
- Northbound traffic will be detoured at SW 104 Street to SW 107 Avenue
- Turnpike access via eastbound Kendall Drive only
Weeknight closures will take place from 10 p.m. until 5 a.m. from Monday to Thursday, as needed, officials say. Alternate commuting routes include:
- Use SW 104 Street/Killian Parkway or SW 72 Street/Sunset Drive for east/west travel
- Use SW 107 Avenue and SW 127 Avenue when traveling north and south
- Consider using Florida Turnpike access at SW 40 Street/Bird Road or SW 152 Street
You can always check current traffic conditions on nbc6.com/traffic.