Several residents of a Lauderdale Lakes quadplex were forced out by flames after a Christmas Eve fire damaged their homes.
Residents told NBC 6 that the fire broke out around 10 p.m. Wednesday in the area of Northwest 31st Avenue and 41st Street.
Tony Rolle said that he was asleep and his family was cooking food in preparation for Christmas day when they heard a knock at the door. It was his neighbor, Sebastian Albert, going door to door alerting his fellow neighbors.
"When I banged on the door, I said hey! There's a fire on the roof, everybody come out let's call 911," Albert said.
Broward Sheriff's Office fire rescue safely evacuated all nine people from the four-unit building. Firefighters were able to contain the blaze.
BSO says the fire was caused by a roofing company that left hot tar on the roof. The tar smoldered until it caught fire around 10:15 p.m.. Crews contained the fire to the roof, but some of the units sustained water damage.
"It's crazy because we were trying to figure out why would they tar the building today, ya know, right before the holidays," Rolle's nephew Michael tells NBC 6.
The Red Cross was on hand offering vouchers for the displaced residents to stay in hotels. Neighbors also pitched in, opening their homes to the displaced families and allowing them to store food in their homes.
An investigation into the fire is ongoing.
Stay with NBC 6 for updates on this developing story.