What to Know
- Whirlpool issued a statement to the station saying they are “committed to providing safe products for consumers."
A West Palm Beach family is cleaning up after a refrigerator they purchased just four months ago exploded inside their home this weekend.
Mark Ligondie told NBC affiliate WPTV the Whirlpool appliance exploded Saturday morning, causing damage to several rooms and with a sound so loud nearby neighbors heard it and rushed over to help Ligondie and his parents escape.
“I was in my room I was asleep and I just heard the bang,” said Ligondie, adding the fumes from the explosions were so strong they made his eyes sting.
No one was hurt in the incident. Fire department officials arrived at the home to put out the fire and investigate, telling neighbor Joshua Perez they had never seen anything like it before.
“I’ve actually scheduled an appointment already because of how nervous this has made me just for general maintenance and I think that’s something everyone should do,“ said Perez, who helped the family get out.
Whirlpool issued a statement to the station saying they are “committed to providing safe products for consumers” and are looking into the incident.