A condominium in Miami is being evacuated Monday after officials deemed it an unsafe structure.
An evacuation noticed was posted at the entrance of the building at 5050 NW 7th Street.
Hundreds of residents from 137 units had only hours to leave, according to a city official.
"We have a lot of elderly owners here that have no place to go," Dmidry Asanov said. "Some have COVID, some can’t walk."
Miami’s building director says several columns needed serious repairs. The building association began the repairs without first getting permits from the city, he said, and because of that, the work they did was not good enough.
NBC 6 reported on the building’s standing violations back in July.
City officials told NBC 6 then that they opened an unsafe structure violation for the building in May based on photos of the damage. A separate case was opened for the building’s noncompliance with the recertification process
NBC 6 learned this building went under new management at the end of June. The company did post a notice in the building last month that the recertification process has been in progress for months.
The condo was set to be part of a hearing for an unsafe structure panel on Aug. 20.
City officials say they do have some organizations helping with hotels for the displaced residents.
Sign up for our Breaking newsletter to get the most urgent news stories in your inbox.