Space Heater Fire Badly Damages Little Havana House: Officials

A good Samaritan rescued a screaming caregiver and elderly woman, Miami Fire-Rescue said

A 96-year-old woman’s attempt to use a portable space heater led to an electrical fire which made her Little Havana house unlivable Wednesday night, Miami Fire-Rescue said.

The fire department said it believes that when the resident plugged in a space heater into an electrical outlet – which had too many plugs working from a splitter – that an overload was created, leading to an electrical short and fire in another room.

The elderly Hispanic woman’s caregiver discovered the fire, but the elderly woman did not want to leave the house at 345 Southwest 15th Ave., so the caregiver began screaming, according to Miami Fire-Rescue.

However, a good Samaritan outside heard the screams and helped both women get out of the house, Miami Fire-Rescue said.

No one was injured, but there was extensive damage to the house, which the 96-year-old woman has lived in for 40 years. The caregiver is taking her to her house to stay there, the fire department said.

Contact Us