What to Know
- The street, which has been closed since the March 15 collapse, will likely reopen this weekend.
- Six people were killed when the pedestrian bridge failed and crushed cars.
Florida Highway Patrol said it anticipates Miami's SW 8th Street, the site where a pedestrian bridge collapse killed six people near FIU, will reopen this weekend.
FHP said the street may open Saturday night or Sunday morning. Crews have been working at the location since the March 15 collapse.
It took several days for all bodies to be removed from the rubble. Since then, crews have been working persistently to clear the road. The pedestrian bridge weighed 950 tons.
FIU held a vigil on Wednesday in honor of the victims. Authorities are working to determine the cause of the collapse.