Two teens accused in connection with the shooting death of a 6-year-old boy in northeast Miami-Dade last month pleaded not guilty to charges at an arraignment Wednesday morning.
Leonard Adams, 18, and Irwen Pressley, 17, are charged with second-degree murder and attempted first-degree murder in the shooting that killed King Carter.
Miami-Dade Police say Carter was outside playing when Adams and Pressley exchanged gunfire with another person outside Carter's apartment complex in the 1200 block of Northeast 103rd Lane.
Police said the incident started with a dispute on social media between Adams and Pressley and the other man.
A third suspect, a 16-year-old male from northwest Miami-Dade, is also facing charges of second-degree murder and premeditated attempted murder.
Police said the 16-year-old confessed to being at the scene when the gunshots rang out at Carter's apartment complex and told police he took one of the other two teens to the hospital because he had a neck wound after the shoot out. The teen was ordered held in a secure juvenile detention.
Both Adams and Pressley were appointed public defenders and were ordered held without bond. Their trial is expected to begin in June.