What to Know
- The teens in Martin County became sick with symptoms that included an upset stomach and going in and out of consciousness.
Three students in one Florida county were hospitalized after sheriff’s officials say they overdosed after smoking THC vape pens that were laced with an unknown substance.
NBC affiliate WPTV reported that the teens in Martin County became sick while at two separate schools – a female student at South Fork High School and two male students at Martin County High School, both located in Stuart – with symptoms that included an upset stomach and going in and out of consciousness.
“It was relayed to us that they were having a seizure," Martin County Sheriff’s Office Lt. Ryan Grimsdale said, adding that it was the first time he had heard of the issue in the county’s schools.
Martin County Schools Superintendent Laurie Gaylord notified parents of the incidents via a phone message on Tuesday, but neither the school district nor MSCO released details on what was inside the pens.
The department reports that close to 100 citations have been written to students this year for bringing vape pens to school, but none indicated they were laced with anything.
“What we’re looking at now actually statewide is an epidemic where these have become the primary method for consumption of illegal substances,” Grimsdale added.