Feds Angle to Keep ‘Codfather’ Far Away From Seafood - NBC 6 South Florida
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

Feds Angle to Keep ‘Codfather’ Far Away From Seafood

A NOAA spokeswoman says the case seeks to deny any future applications by fishing magnate Carlos Rafael for any permit issued by the agency

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    What if Cancer Comes Back?
    Getty Images/iStockphoto
    A file close up of an Atlantic cod fish.

    The federal government is trying to keep the disgraced fishing magnate known as the Codfather out of the seafood business.

    Carlos Rafael was sentenced last year to nearly four years in prison after pleading guilty to evading fishing quotas and smuggling money to Portugal.

    Officials with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration say they filed a charging document against Rafael, two of his scallop boat captains and 28 businesses related to Rafael on Wednesday.

    A NOAA spokeswoman says the case seeks to deny any future applications by Rafael for any permit issued by the agency.

    Video Captures Pilot's Rescue From Crashed Jet

    [NATL] Video Captures Pilot's Rescue From Crashed Jet During Military Exercise

    Video and photos captured the rescue of a 47-year-old civilian pilot, whose jet crashed shortly after take-off during a military exercise.

    (Published 2 hours ago)

    It also seeks nearly $1 million in civil penalties. The agency also hopes to revoke a seafood dealer permit issued to Carlos Seafood in New Bedford, Massachusetts, and 38 commercial fishing permits.