Editor's Note: NBC Chicago includes shootings that took place between 6 p.m. Friday and 12 a.m. Monday in the weekend violence report.
Violence continued to strike the Chicago area this weekend with at least 18 people shot in a little more than 12 hours overnight, bringing the number of people shot since Friday to 40.
Four people, including an 11-year-old girl at a sleepover with friends, have been killed, police said.
Sunday’s first homicide took place just after 2:30 a.m. when a gunman opened fire in a bar on Chicago’s Southwest Side.
The shooting took place in the 4400 block of South Kedzie in the city’s Brighton Park neighborhood, police said.
U.S. & World
A 24-year-old man was shot in the chest and pronounced dead at the scene and a man in his 30s was shot in the torso and taken in stable condition to Mount Sinai Hospital, according to authorities.
Five people were shot, one of them fatally, in a drive-by shooting near a block party Saturday night.
Police said a 21-year-old man and a 43-year-old woman were getting into a cab around 6 p.m. in the 900 block of North Mayfield Avenue when they “heard shots and felt pain,” police said.
The 43-year-old woman was shot in the leg and suffered a graze wound to the head and was taken to West Suburban Medical Center and the 53-year-old cab driver was shot in the abdomen and both thighs and was transported to John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County. Both were listed in stable condition.
The 21-year-old man suffered multiple gunshot wounds to the body and head and was transported in critical condition to West Suburban Medical Center where he was later pronounced dead, according to Chicago Police News Affairs Officer Jose Estrada.
Police said the shots fired along North Mayfield Avenue also injured two men in the 900 block of North Massasoit Avenue.
The two men, who were playing basketball at the time, said they thought they heard firecrackers but quickly realized they were shot.
A 26-year-old man was shot in the foot and thigh and a 33-year-old man was shot in the foot. Both were taken in stable condition to West Suburban Medical Center.
In another fatal shooting Saturday, a 30-year-old man was found shot to death in a car in the South Austin neighborhood.
The man was discovered unresponsive in the driver’s seat of a car parked in an alley in the 0-100 block of North Laramie Avenue just after 3 a.m. Saturday, police said.
The man suffered gunshot wounds to the back, shoulder and neck and was pronounced dead at the scene, police said.
- Cop in Chokehold Arrest Death Stripped of Badge Amid Growing Outcry
- Police: Movie, TV Legend James Garner Dies
An 11-year-old girl was fatally shot when a stray bullet pierced a bedroom window on the city’s West Side.
Family members said the young girl was at a sleepover and was preparing to make s’mores with her friends when she was shot.
She was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital and was listed in critical condition.
She was later pronounced dead at the hospital, according to Chicago Police News Affairs Officer Amina Greer.
The Cook County Medical Examiner's office confirmed the girl had died.
At least 11 others were wounded in shootings Saturday night and Sunday morning.
- Just before 5 p.m., two people, including a 14-year-old girl, were shot in the 2700 block of South Millard Avenue. Police said the two were at a backyard party when they heard shots and felt pain. A 20-year-old man was shot in the right foot and taken in good condition to Mount Sinai Hospital. A 14-year-old girl was shot in the hip and taken in serious condition to Mount Sinai Hospital.
- Around 9:30 p.m., a 17-year-old boy was shot while riding his bike in the 900 block of West 83rd Street. The teen was dropped off at St. Bernard Hospital with a gunshot wound to the left thigh. He was listed in stable condition.
- A 26-year-old man was shot in the shoulder around 10:15 p.m. in the 1600 block of North Kedzie Avenue, police said. The man transported himself to Swedish Covenant Hospital where he was listed in stable condition. Details surrounding the shooting were not immediately available.
- Around 1:30 a.m. Sunday, a 50-year-old woman was shot in the 4400 block of South Prairie Avenue. The woman told police she heard shots and felt pain. She was treated and released at the scene, officials said.
- About five minutes later, a 20-year-old man was shot while sitting in a car in the 3600 block of South California Avenue. Police said the man was sitting in the back seat of a car when two men yelled gang slogans and fired shots. He was taken to Holy Cross Hospital with a wound to the shoulder and was listed in stable condition.
- Two people were shot while getting gas at a gas station in the Portage Park neighborhood near Addison and Laramie avenues just after 3 a.m. Sunday. The two were pumping gas at a gas station when a man approached and opened fire, striking both of them, police said. A 24-year-old man was shot in the thigh and a 31-year-old woman was shot in the left hand. The two drove themselves to West Suburban Medical Center in stable condition.
- Around the same time, a 25-year-old man was shot while standing in the 5600 block of West Division Street. The man was on the sidewalk when he “heard shots and felt pain,” police said. He was taken to Loretto Hospital with wounds to the right buttocks and left shoulder.
- Just after 5:30 a.m., an 18-year-old man was shot in the left shoulder in the 2500 block of North Sawyer Avenue. He was taken to Illinois Masonic Medical Center in good condition. Details surrounding the shooting were not immediately available.
- At about the same time a 19-year-old man suffered a graze wound to the shoulder in the 3200 block of West Wrightwood Avenue. The teen was taken to Illinois Masonic Medical Center in good condition.
- Around 5:45 a.m., a 23-year-old woman suffered a graze wound to the back in a possible drive-by shooting in the 8500 block of South Burnham Avenue. The woman refused medical treatment at the scene, Estrada said.