John Travolta has been understandably absent from the promotional swing to promote "The Taking Of Pelham 1 2 3" following the January death of his 16-year-old son, Jett. And in a new letter to fans, he thanked his co-stars and collaborators for filling in.
"[Director] Tony [Scott], Denzel [Washington], Luis [Guzman], John [Turturro], James [Gandolfini] and Sony Pictures stepped up with hesitation to help promote this wonderful film, and their unselfish efforts have allowed my family the additional time to reconcile our loss," he wrote on his official Web site.
U.S. & World
The star added that his villainous role in the film was "the ultimate evil mastermind."
"This role as an actor gave me the chance to dispense with all moral and ethical limitations, and explore just how bad this character could really be," he wrote of the June 12-due movie. "I believe you will like the result."
At last week's Los Angeles premiere, Denzel told Access Hollywood that John's loss took priority over a red carpet appearance.
"This is a movie, this is entertainment," Denzel said. "He's where he needs to be."
Jett died on January 2 during a vacation in the Bahamas due to seizure disorder, according to his death certificate. The teen had what family lawyer Michael Ossie called a "history of seizures."
Related Content from AccessHollywood.com:
VIEW THE PHOTOS: Hollywood Loves John Travolta
PLAY IT NOW: 'The Taking Of Pelham 1 2 3' Premiere
PLAY IT NOW: Denzel Washington On How 'Pelham' Co-Star John Travolta Is Dealing With The Loss Of His Son