Sony Pictures Entertainment is backing the director of last year's "Ghostbusters" remake, Paul Feig, after Dan Aykroyd criticized him for spending too much money on the film to make it worthwhile for Sony to make a sequel.
Without mentioning Feig's name, Aykroyd said on the British chat show "Sunday Brunch" this week that Feig didn't want to shoot scenes Aykroyd and others told him were necessary. He said the scenes were eventually added as reshoots and cost the production an additional $30 million to $40 million, making a sequel "economically not feasible."
While he said he was pleased with the reboot of the franchise that starred Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy, Aykroyd suggested Sony wouldn't be eager again to work with Feig, who directed comedy hits "Bridesmaids" and "The Heat."
"He will not be back on the Sony lot any time soon," Aykroyd said.
Sony Pictures took issue with Aykroyd's comments in a statement to The Associated Press on Tuesday, putting the cost of the reshoots at $3 million to $4 million.
"Sony has a strong relationship with Paul Feig, and we have incredible respect for his work," spokeswoman Jean Guerin said.
Sony Pictures hasn't said whether there will be a sequel to "Ghostbusters." The company does say that "Ghostbusters" television and family projects are in the works.
U.S. & World
Aykroyd co-wrote and starred in the original "Ghostbusters" film and its 1989 sequel. He served as an executive producer for the remake.