Firefighters Investigate Smoking Drum in Hollywood

55-gallon drum was emitting vapors and heat: Officials

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    NBCMiami.com
    A firefighter inspects a smoking barrel found in Hollywood.

    Hollywood Fire Rescue Hazmat workers responded Monday after a 55-gallon drum that was emitting vapors and heat washed up on the beach, officials said.

    The crushed barrel, which washed up Sunday, was brought to the Hollywood Public Works facility in the 1100 block of N. Ocean Drive, Hollywood Fire Rescue Chief Mark Steele said.

    Steele said the drum could be carrying acid, but it would be tested to confirm what was inside. They're also trying to make sure no one has come in contact with it.

    Ocean Drive was shut down throughout the day in both directions in the area as a precaution and was reopened Monday night.

    Steele said the drum was sitting in a pool of water and when taken out there was a minor explosion.

    "We've already had a minor explosion from it, and it put off a white powder," he said.

    He said officials were still trying to find a way to get it out of the area.