Jameis Winston Case Was Investigated Immediately, City Says

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Getty Images
    Jameis Winston #5 of the Florida State Seminoles warms up during a game against the Miami Hurricanes at Doak Campbell Stadium on Nov. 2, 2013 in Tallahassee.

    A top Tallahassee official says authorities investigated allegations of sexual assault against Florida State University quarterback Jameis Winston immediately after a complaint was filed, but put the case on hold because the victim later decided she did not want to press charges.

    City Manager Anita Favors Thompson told Tallahassee city commissioners in a Nov. 12 email that an attorney representing the woman told police she had "changed her mind and did not wish to prosecute."

    The alleged assault happened in December 2012 but Tallahassee police did not hand over information to prosecutors until last week, after the news media asked for the records.

    The Tallahassee Democrat first reported the existence of the email, which The Associated Press has obtained.

    Timothy Jansen, the attorney representing Winston, has said his client did nothing wrong and he thought the investigation was over months ago.

    More NBC 6 South Florida Stories: