The strong smell of chlorine permeated the Boulevard Gardens neighborhood near Fort Lauderdale on Saturday, forcing the evacuation of about 20 homes, officials said.
Neighboring homes were evacuated as a precaution, according to Keyla Concepcion, sheriff’s spokeswoman. People said the smell was so strong, they felt a burning sensation in their throats.
No one was hurt in the incident, which happened about 10 a.m. in the unincorporated Central Broward County neighborhood, near the 200 block of Northwest 31st Avenue.
A man who lives in the neighborhood and deals in scrap metal had purchased a steel tank, but when he opened it, he realized chlorine still was inside, Concepcion said. Some chlorine also was leaking from the tank.
Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue and Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue crews responded and brought the situation under control, officials said.
The incident temporarily affected traffic on Northwest 31st Avenue as fire rescue crews removed the tank from the area.