Man Passes Out at LIV Nightclub, Later Dies

The man died at a hospital.

Miami Beach Fire Rescue was investigating internally Monday to see why their alert system failed when they got a call about a man who collapsed at the LIV nightclub last week and later died at a hospital.

Miami Beach Fire Rescue spokesman Adonis Garcia said there was a problem that night. The dispatch call came in at 12:59 a.m. on Friday, and apparently, the alerting system in the fire station didn't work, so firefighters weren't aware of the emergency situation.

Then they got a second call from dispatch at 1:06 a.m., which they were alerted to, and they arrived at the Fontainebleau at 1:14 a.m.  

"When I say glitch, sometimes it won't go off and sometimes you have to call the station the old-fashioned way," Garcia said. "This is what occurred, and we're looking into it right now."

According to the hotel, Albert Gomez, 31, collapsed inside the club around 12:45 a.m. Friday after being there about 10 to 20 minutes. Hotel security performed CPR on him, and Miami Beach Fire Rescue transported him to Mount Sinai Medical Center where he died, the hotel said.

Garcia said that an off-duty Miami Beach firefighter, Claudio Navas, who is also a paramedic, had just arrived at the club as well and helped security use a defibrillator on Gomez.

"So he hadn't been drinking, he was there and ready to go and he helped out with security," Garcia said of Navas. "They properly applied the automatic defibrilator and they shocked him according to how the machine says, three times."

A friend of Gomez's told police that they had gone to the Miami Heat game earlier Thursday night and "they had about six shots of tequila," followed by dinner at the Fontainebleau. During dinner, the friend said, "they had a few lines of cocaine," Miami Beach Police wrote in a report.

Another friend confirmed that account, and both friends told police that the three of them were drinking at a table at LIV when Gomez suddenly collapsed.

Contact Us