Showtime's 'Twin Peaks' Reboot Shrouded in Mystery | NBC 6 South Florida

Showtime's 'Twin Peaks' Reboot Shrouded in Mystery

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    ABC Photo Archives/Getty Images
    A shot from the "Twin Peaks" show in 1989.

    Mystery continues to surround Showtime's revival of "Twin Peaks."

    A few things seem certain: The much-anticipated reboot of the eerie 1990-91 ABC thriller will in fact be coming to Showtime, with both original co-creators, David Lynch and Mark Frost, onboard, despite Lynch's tweet in April that he was exiting the project.

    Lynch and Frost are indeed writing the new series, with Lynch slated to direct all the episodes, as previously announced.

    And shooting will begin next month, Showtime Networks President David Nevins said, 

    "I never had any doubt we would bring him back," Nevins said, regarding the network's temporary rift with Lynch, at at a Television Critics Association news media event in Los Angeles on Tuesday. 

    One hitch, said Nevins, had been Lynch's contention that the series called for more than its originally planned nine episodes. There now will be more than nine, Nevins confirmed. How many more? He didn't say.

    Nor was he forthcoming about the cast.

    "There will be many of the people you expect, and other surprises," he teased.

    One other mystery: No airdate has yet been announced.

    But other things were more explicit in the session. Showtime announced a pair of hour-long pilots: a Chicago-set drama from actor-rapper Common and "I'm Dying Up Here," a dark comedy set in the 1970s standup scene in Los Angeles produced by Jim Carrey.

    The network also announced a miniseries based on the Patti Smith memoir, "Just Kids."