At least two people were rushed to the hospital after a dangerous chemical leak at an Opa-Locka warehouse, authorities said.
The incident happened around 10 p.m. at a metal recovery business at 3800 Northwest 125th Street when two workers began to have respiratory problems after some toxic chemicals began to leak.
Police and some 80 fire rescue workers responded and shut down several blocks in the area of 37th Avenue and Northwest 125th Street, authorities said.
The fumes affected more than a dozen other employees and at least two police officers, who were all checked out at the scene and allowed to return to work.
Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Chief Stan Hills said the employees were security guards who rushed in to save their coworkers.
"Fourteen security people here rushed in to save their two compatriots. They were very brave and did a great job," Hills said. "We cleaned them up before we let them go home but they took a big risk to save two people, they're heroes."
The victims were taken to Palmetto General Hospital where one was in serious condition and the other is stable.
Hills said the leak was violent and the chemicals released were very dangerous.
"It was hydrogen sulfide and it can turn into sulfuric acid in your lungs and do a lot of respiratory damage," Hills said.
More Local Stories:
- Third Officer Claims Police Chief Sexually Harassed Her
- Army Major From South Florida to Attend Inauguration
- Thieves Used Facebook to Lure Teen to Robbery