Felony Charges Dropped Against Miami Plastic Surgeon Orlando Llorente: Official

Llorente, who had faced attempted murder and other charges in connection with an incident involving his ex-girlfriend, now faces two misdemeanor counts of battery

Friday, Sep 13, 2013  |  Updated 7:19 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Plastic Surgeon Charged With Attempted Murder Granted Bond

Miami-Dade Corrections

Dr. Orlando Llorente

advertisement
Photos and Videos

Miami Plastic Surgeon Orlando Llorente Released on Bond, Placed Under House Arrest

Dr. Orlando Llorente arrived at his home in the Roads Friday afternoon wearing an ankle monitor. This was the first time the 41-year-old Miami plastic surgeon had been out of jail since he was arrested May 7th and charged with kidnapping and attempted murder. NBC 6's Diana Gonzalez reports.

Plastic Surgeon Charged With Attempted Murder Granted Bond

A judge granted a $100,000 bond to a Miami plastic surgeon who faces attempted murder and kidnapping charges for allegedly holding his ex-girlfriend captive and beating her for several hours. NBC 6's Ari Odzer reports.
More Photos and Videos

Felony charges including attempted murder and kidnapping have been dropped against a Miami plastic surgeon who police arrested earlier this year for allegedly holding his ex-girlfriend captive and beating her for several hours, an official said.

Dr. Orlando Llorente, 41, had also faced felony charges of false imprisonment, tampering with a witness and strongarm robbery and a misdemeanor of criminal mischief in the April incident, according to online Miami-Dade court records.

But prosecutors have decided to consolidate the charges against Llorente into a misdemeanor criminal case, according to Miami-Dade State Attorney’s Office spokesman Ed Griffith. Now he faces two counts of battery, court records said.

“After a thorough review of all of the evidence (as is done in all cases filed in our domestic violence division), it was determined that the available evidence merited criminal misdemeanor charges rather than the previously filed felony charges,” Griffith said in an email.

The changes were officially made Thursday, court records said.

Miami Police said earlier this year that Llorente became angry over a message he saw on his ex-girlfriend’s Facebook page. He allegedly grabbed her by the hair and dragged her into a bathroom, forcing her head into a toilet and banging her head against the floor.

He held her captive for 12 to 16 hours, during which time the woman suffered visible signs of trauma to her head and face, a Miami Police arrest affidavit said.

Lllorente wouldn’t let her use her phone during that time, and after he drove the woman to a CVS in Pinecrest, he ultimately smashed the phone on the ground and stomped on it until it was in pieces, according to the affidavit. When Pinecrest Police arrived at the scene, Llorente wasn’t there, the affidavit said.

Defense attorney Marcos Beaton disputed the charges against Llorente earlier this year.

"I don't see anything within the narrative that suggests that Dr. Llorente prevented the alleged victim from leaving, either by threat, by force or by implication of force," Beaton said when Llorente made his first court appearance in May.

Beaton could not immediately be reached for comment Friday.

More Local Stories:

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
Get Our New iPad App
Now optimized for iPad, NBC 6 connects... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out