Man, 93, Who Died After Being Left in Sun at ManorCare Facility Had Burns, Thermal Exposure: Authorities

Alfonso Jansen had second- and third-degree burns on his body, the medical examiner’s report shows

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    The Team 6 Investigators have obtained the autopsy report for a 93-year-old man who died after being left in the scorching sun. NBC 6's Willard Shepard reports. (Published Thursday, Jan 9, 2014)

    The Team 6 Investigators have obtained the autopsy report for a 93-year-old man who died after being left in the scorching sun.

    Alfonso Jansen was living at the ManorCare skilled nursing care facility in Plantation where he died Oct. 5. According to federal records, he was left unattended in a courtyard for 3 hours and 45 minutes, during which time the temperature rose to 88 degrees.

    The Broward County medical examiner’s report shows that Jansen had second- and third-degree burns on his body and found that “thermal exposure” was a “contributory factor” in his death.

    A former employee of a ManorCare sister facility in Tamarac told NBC 6 that conditions at the facilities are dictated by the regional director and are the same for all properties in the region. The former employee, who asked that we keep her identity confidential, said she watched as conditions got worse over the past six years as budgets were slashed.

    “A nursing assistant who would normally give daily care to eight patients is now up to nine, 10 or 11 patients,” she said.

    The former employee added that if it’s the night shift, an aide could have as many as 20 patients to look after.

    “And it’s the same for the nursing staff,” she said.

    ManorCare said it would send a statement, but NBC 6 has not yet received it.