Miami Dolphins defensive end Dion Jordan has been suspended for the team’s first four games without pay for violating the NFL’s police on performance enhancing drugs.
“We were disappointed to learn about Dion’s suspension,” head coach Joe Philbin said in a statement Thursday. “Dion has accepted responsibility for his actions and is committed to improving, both on and off the field, in preparation for the upcoming year.”
Jordan, who the team traded up in the 2013 NFL Draft to select third overall, has been a bust through his first year in the league. He struggled to get on the field in his rookie season and posted just two sacks and 19 total tackles for the year.
The Dolphins had hoped Jordan would turn the corner with a full offseason to work through his injuries from last year and spend in the team’s strength and conditioning program. Reports from the team’s minicamp said Jordan had put on weight and looked good in his offseason work.
“I’m very sorry for the impact of this situation on my teammates, coaches, Stephen Ross, the entire Dolphins organization, fans, and my family as well,” Jordan said in a statement. “I will continue to work extremely hard during training camp and preseason.”
Jordan will be eligible to return to the lineup on Monday, September 29.
One note, with Jordan's suspension, half of the top four draft picks from last year have been suspended by the league.