Concealed Weapon Charge Dropped Against Man Suing Police - NBC 6 South Florida
The Team 6 Investigators are Everywhere

SEND TIPS954-424-0939

Concealed Weapon Charge Dropped Against Man Suing Police

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Sebastian Gregory, a man suing police over a 2012 shooting, won't face a concealed weapon charge related to his December 2014 arrest, prosecutors said. (Published Tuesday, Feb. 3, 2015)

    There’s been a new development in an NBC 6 investigation into the shooting of a 16-year-old by a Miami-Dade police officer.

    Sebastian Gregory and his family are suing police over being shot in the back by Officer Luis Perez in May 2012. Officer Perez stopped him as he walked down a Kendall street and ordered him to the ground.

    Officer Perez said he thought he was going for a gun. He fired nine times, hitting Gregory in the back and leaving him partially paralyzed. Gregory had a T-ball bat hidden in his pants at the time of the shooting.

    Last month, Gregory was arrested and charged with carrying a concealed firearm, which police found during a pat-down search.

    However, Miami-Dade prosecutors turned down the case, saying that the search may have been illegal.

    "There was a question as to whether there was even probable cause to stop Mr. Gregory in the first place," said Michael Feiler, who is Gregory’s attorney.

    Gregory was carrying a .50-caliber, single shot, long-barrel, muzzled-loaded sports pistol.

    Get the latest from NBC 6 anywhere, anytime