With only two days left before the official kick-off of the Miami International Film Festival, movie fans are narrowing down their choices and grabbing their tickets before they are sold out! With so many options you can’t really go wrong, but if you want to catch the most buzzed-about films we've narrowed it down to the top five below.
1. “No” was nominated for “Best Foreign Language Film” at the 85th Annual Academy Awards and even though it lost it is a film you won’t want to miss during MIFF. Gael Garcia Bernal stars as Rene Saavedra, an ad executive who comes up with a campaign to defeat Augusto Pinochet in Chile's 1988 referendum.
Screening will take place on Tuesday, March 5th, 2013 at the Olympia Theater located at 174 E Flagler Street, Miami, FL 33131. For more information or to purchase tickets, click here.
2. Viggo Mortensen flexes his acting muscles playing brothers in the film, “Everybody Has a Plan.” Mortensen stars as both Agustín and Pedro, twin brothers who exchange identities in Argentina. The Spanish language film also gives Mortensen the platform to show off his fluency in the language after living much of his own childhood in both Venezuela and Argentina.
Screenings will take place on Saturday, March 2nd, 2013 and Monday, March 4th, 2013 at the Regal South Beach Cinemas located at 1100 Lincoln Road, Miami Beach, FL 33139. For more information or to purchase tickets click here.
3. If you think your life stinks you should meet Mica (played by “Big Love” star Douglas Smith), the world’s unluckiest boy in “The Boy Who Smells Like Fish.” In this coming-of-age story not only did Mica’s father abandon him when he was a baby, and was forced take over the embarrassing family business, but he was born with a rare medical condition that made him smell like fish. The film also stars Ariadna Gil, Carrie-Anne Moss, and Zoë Kravitz.
The screening will take place on Saturday, March 2nd, 2013 at the Olympia Theater. For more information or to purchase tickets, click here.
4. We are months away from Halloween but you needn’t wait until then to suffer a fright! Directors Bryan Ramirez, Bryan Ortiz, and Kerry Valderrama will unveil “Sanitarium” starring Malcolm McDowell, Robert Englund, and Lou Diamond Phillips at MIFF for their world premiere.
McDowell stars as Dr. Stenson, head psychiatrist presiding over a sanitarium where hardly anyone ever gets well.
Screenings will take place on Friday, March 1st and Saturday, March 2nd, 2013 at O Cinema located at 90 NW 29th Street, Miami, FL 33127. For more information or to purchase tickets, click here.
5. The Miami International Film Festival will honor director Lasse Hallström with a “Career Achievement Tribute” this year and will screen his return to Swedish filmmaking with, “The Hypnotist.” Starring his real life wife Lena Olin, a detective pairs himself with a famous psychologist on a case involving a traumatized young witness to a crime.
A screening will take place on Sunday, March 3rd, 2013 at the Olympia Theater. For more information or to purchase tickets click here.