Survivor Files 1st Lawsuit in Miami Bridge Collapse; 2nd Lawsuit Expected - NBC 6 South Florida

Survivor Files 1st Lawsuit in Miami Bridge Collapse; 2nd Lawsuit Expected

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Second Lawsuit Expected to be Filed Over FIU Bridge Collapse

    NBC 6's Laura Rodriguez reports on the latest developments on the bridge collapse near FIU.

    (Published Monday, March 19, 2018)

    The first lawsuit has been filed against the companies involved in the design and building of the bridge that collapsed at Florida International University.

    The lawsuit was filed Monday in Miami-Dade Circuit Court on behalf of Marquise Rashaad Hepburn. He was seriously injured as he rode a bicycle under the bridge as it collapsed last week. The lawsuit says a car swerving to avoid the falling concrete struck Hepburn.

    Hepburn's attorney did not detail his injuries during a news conference Monday, but said he is now on a number of medications.

    "He remains in a bad way and he's recovering," attorney Matt Morgan said.

    Victim Filing Lawsuit Against Companies Over FIU Bridge

    [MI] Victim Filing Lawsuit Against Companies Over FIU Bridge

    NBC 6's Willard Shepard reports on the lawsuit filed by someone injured when the bridge near FIU collapsed.

    (Published Monday, March 19, 2018)

    Hepburn is seeking damages in excess of $15,000, although Morgan estimated lawsuits could top $1 billion in claims, NBC News reported.

    The negligence lawsuit seeks the damages from the entities involved in building the bridge. They include Munilla Construction Management and FIGG Bridge Engineers. Both companies say they will cooperate with multiple investigations into the collapse that killed six people.

    The lawsuit says cracks in the span should have been taken seriously and traffic should have been diverted during any testing.

    MCM and FIGG did not immediately respond to NBC News' request for comment about the lawsuit, but have previously said they are working with investigators.

    The family of Alberto Arias, who was killed in the incident, may also file a lawsuit, pending a press conference on Tuesday.

    "This is an unexpected and shocking loss for the Arias family. As they grieve, they remain pained by so many unanswered questions. Now they begin this journey to finding these answers," family attorney Yesenia Collazo said in a statement.

    Survivor Files First Lawsuit in Miami Bridge Collapse

    [MI] Survivor Files First Lawsuit in Miami Bridge Collapse

    Marquise Rashaad Hepburn, one of the survivors of the bridge collapse near FIU, files a lawsuit against the design and construction firms connected with the project.

    (Published Monday, March 19, 2018)

    Get the latest from NBC 6 anywhere, anytime