Students Transported From Miami Coral Park Senior High School for Possible Substance Overdose

Dionisio Lockridge, 22, was arrested on drug possession charges in connection with the incident: school district spokesman

A suspect has been arrested in connection with Thursday's incident in which 10 students at Miami Coral Park Senior High School were hospitalized for a possible overdose after eating laced brownies, officials said.

A large amount of marijuana, as well as cocaine and brownies, were found at the home of the suspect, who is not a student, Miami-Dade County Public Schools spokesman John Schuster said.

Miami-Dade Schools Police arrested Dionisio Lockridge, 22, for possession of marijuana, possession of marijuana with intent to sell, possession of cocaine, and possession of Xanax, according to Schuster.

He was being held on $20,000 bond Friday. It was not immediately known whether Lockridge has an attorney.

The brownies have been sent to the Miami-Dade crime lab for testing.

The 9 students were taken to Miami Children's Hospital, South Miami Hospital and Kendall Regional, Schuster said earlier. Another student received treatment but was not transported by fire rescue, he said.

VIDEO: 10 Taken To Hospital After Extinguisher Sprayed at Norland Middle School

It was unknown what was in the food they ate.

"Miami-Dade Schools Police are investigating the matter to identify the substance that the students ingested as well as the source of the substance," the school district said in an email statement.

Earlier, aerial footage showed two ambulances parked in front of the school, located at 8865 Southwest 16th Street in Miami, and authorities waiting outside with a stretcher.

"The students were transported as a precautionary measure," the school board said in a statement. "Miami-Dade Schools Police are investigating the matter to identify the substance the students ingested as well as the source of the substance."

VIDEO: "Slapfest": Students at Miami Coral Park Senior High Play Slap Game in Video

A student told NBC 6 that Thursday morning, a number of students were selling brownies to their peers, and then moments later, after ingesting the food, many got violently ill.

"I saw the kids throwing up. There were kids who were very itchy," said student Danivellis Torres.

Another student said she saw kids passing out.

"I'm very nervous. I don't understand what happened here," said parent Cecilia Mantilla.

More Local Stories:

 Follow NBC 6 on mobile here.

Sign up to get BREAKING NEWS email alerts from NBC 6 here.

Get NBC 6's free iPad app here.

Contact Us