Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue Responds to Hazmat Situation at Bimini Boatyard Bar & Grill

Police, fire rescue workers respond to Bimini Boatyard Bar & Grill

Seven people were decontaminated after Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue workers responded to a possible hazardous materials situation at Bimini Boatyard Bar & Grill Wednesday, officials said.

Officials said people complained of something that caused them to get an irritation or burning sensation and respiratory problems at the restaurant at 1555 Southeast 17th Street. Police also responded to the scene.

Gas Leak Reported at Fire Station in Lauderhill

A white powder was later found spread on top of a desk in an office near the kitchen, officials said.

The powder was tested by the Fort Lauderdale Hazmat team who determined it didn't pose a serious public health risk, officials said. Preliminary tests showed it may be some kind of insecticide.

Two of the seven victims were still being evaluated, officials said. No one was hospitalized.

The incident happened before the restaurant was open, and the restaurant was still closed early Wednesday afternoon, but may open for dinner. 

More local stories:

Contact Us