A 10-year-old Palm Beach County, Florida, boy remains hospitalized in Miami Monday after his family says he was poisoned when their home was fumigated for termites.
According to NBC affiliate WPTV, Peyton McCaughey's parents first noticed the boy's symptoms on Aug. 17. The family contracted Terminix to treat the house for termites, and says they were given the green light to return to the home.
The family tells WPTV that they all became ill, but that Peyton's symptoms were significantly more severe. They say the boy initially experienced nausea, but that his condition quickly declined and he began to lose motor skills and could not stand on his own.
Peyton was taken to St. Mary's Medical Center in West Palm Beach where he was in the ICU for nine days.
He was then transferred to Nicklaus Children's Hospital where he spent his 10th birthday, and on Thursday was transferred to Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital.
The family's attorney tells WPTV that Terminix contracted with a West Palm Beach company called SunLand to do the actual tenting job, and that they believe chemicals were left inside the home.
According to WPTV, a Terminix spokesman released a statement saying, "We were saddened to learn of this and our hearts are with the family. We are carefully reviewing the matter."
An attorney for the contractor SunLand did not return WPTV's calls for comment.
Meanwhile, three Miami Dolphins players who heard what happened to Peyton, spent part of Sunday at Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital visiting him.
Running back Lamar Miller, defensive end Olivier Vernon and wide receiver Jarvis Landry visited Peyton Sunday. According to a Dolphins’ spokesman, they brought gifts including a signed football, jersey, teddy bear, and other items.
The State Department of Agriculture announced Friday they are issuing a "stop work order" prohibiting SunLand Pest Control from doing any fumigation while they investigate.
In a statement, a Department of Agriculture spokeswoman said: "We are aware of the tragic and heartbreaking incident involving Peyton, and the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is investigating SunLand Pest Control in collaboration with the EPA and the Department of Health,"
The family has started a Facebook support group entitled "Support Peyton McCaughey." The family is also accepting donations for the boy's medical care via a GoFundMe page.
Since it was launched five days ago, the page has raised more than $53,000 toward Peyton's care.