Will Psy be the new Adele? Will Carly Rae Jepsen be the new Taylor Swift? Will the old Taylor Swift and the young Harry Styles have an excuse to walk the red carpet together?
Stars and storylines to look for from tonight's scheduled 2013 Grammy nominations announcement:
U.S. & World
1. Actually, Frank Ocean Could Be the New Adele: He came out, and he broke out. Look for his statement- and career-making Channel Orange to be a talking point, and maybe a front-runner in Album of the Year.
2. Will Grammy Voters Dare Deny "Gangham Style"? And deny themselves a Psy performance at the Grammys? Impossible. Even for the Grammys.
3. Carly Rae Jepsen vs. Taylor Swift: The singer-songwriter showdown could occur in Record of the Year, with Jepsen's "Call Me Maybe" in one corner, and Swift's "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" in the other. Overall, though, 2013 is going to be Jepsen's Grammy year more than Swift's, as Jepsen probably will compete for a host of other awards, including Best New Artist, while Swift will have to wait until the 2014 show for all of her Red period to be eligible.
4. Nicki Minaj vs. Mariah Carey: Guess which American Idol judge could be a major Grammys winner by the time Idol's live shows roll around? A hint and a prediction: (1) it won't be the career five-time winner, who only has a couple of singles eligible this time out, and (2) this turn of events will be noted on air by someone whose name rhymes with Ricki Rinaj.
5. Most Likely to Be Snubbed: One Direction: Boy bands and the Grammys don't go together. It's not that they, the boy bands, don't win, although they don't; it's that they, the boy bands, rarely even rate nominations. So, if you were hoping for a Best New Artist nod for the gang from the United Kingdom, then you're probably going to be crushed tonight. Nomination or no, we suppose Styles can still walk the red carpet with Swift. He does, after all, have a lot of practice walking in and out of her hotel.
6. Will Justin Bieber's "Boyfriend" Be the Ticket? Bieber's never won a Grammy, which given that his recording career is still only of preschool age is not the same as saying that the Beach Boys have never won, but still..."Boyfriend" was his bid to prove he was more than a haircut; if it ends up in the Record of the Year category, we'll know he's going to last longer than, well, a haircut.
7. The Lana Del Rey Live-Performance Watch: If the "Video Games" singer and unacclaimed Saturday Night Live musical guest breaks through in Best New Artist, she'll have a shot at bringing her moves to the Grammy telecast, and that could be interesting--or not. Either way, we'll have Brian Williams' commentary to look forward to.
8. How Sick Will You Be of "Somebody That I Used to Know" by February? Possibly a lot depending on your love, of lack thereof, for the Gotye smash, which should figure prominently in the top categories.