Miami Student Pleads Guilty To Obama Threat

Joaquin Amador Serrapio Jr. could get up to five years in federal prison

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    A 20-year-old college student who told investigators he was merely trying to get a reaction from President Barack Obama's supporters pleaded guilty Wednesday to posting threatening messages against the president on Facebook. The student's attorney Alan Ross speaks in court.

    A 20-year-old college student who told investigators he was merely trying to get a reaction from President Barack Obama's supporters pleaded guilty Wednesday to posting threatening messages against the president on Facebook.

    Joaquin Amador Serrapio Jr. could get up to five years in federal prison for pleading guilty to a single count of threatening to kill or harm the president, but likely will get less time, said his attorney Alan Ross. Sentencing is set for Aug. 22 before U.S. District Judge Marcia Cooke.

    There's no evidence that Serrapio intended to carry out any threat against the president and Obama was never in any danger, investigators said.

    Miami Man Posts Obama Threats: Authorities

    [MI] Miami Man Posts Obama Threats: Authorities
    The 20-year-old is currently being held in a Miami federal detention center for posting messages in which he threatened to assassinate President Obama, authorities said.

    "He posted posted these on Facebook and they are what they are. After looking at the law, he decided to accept responsiblity and he plead guilty," Ross aid.

    "He wanted to get a reaction from political supporters of President Obama," Ross said.

    Man Accused of Obama Threat Pleads Not Guilty

    [MI] Man Accused of Obama Threat Pleads Not Guilty
    A Miami man accused of threatening to kill President Barack Obama appeared in federal court on Friday and entered a not guilty plea. Joaquin Amador Serrapio Jr., 20, was arrested last month for making threats against Obama during the president's trip to Miami in February. His attorney Alan Ross said his client had no intention of hurting the president and he wants to apologize to Obama, his community and his family.

    Serrapio is a music business major at Miami-Dade College who also fronts for a rock group called the "J. Valor Band." Using the "Jay Valor" page on Facebook, prosecutors said Serrapio posted two threatening messages around the time Obama visited South Florida in February to deliver a speech at the University of Miami and attend two fundraisers.

    In the first post on Feb. 21, Serrapio said: "Who wants to help me assassinate Obummer while hes at UM this week?"

    Then on Feb. 23, the day of Obama's visit, the Secret Service said Serappio posted a second threat.

    "If anyones going to UM to see Obama today, get ur phones out and record. Cause at any moment im gonna put a bullet through his head and u don't wanna miss that! Youtube!" the message said.

    Someone who saw the posts contacted the Coral Gables Police Department and the Secret Service dispatched two agents to Serrapio's home, where Serrapio and his mother agreed to allow a search. There they found an iPad with one of the Facebook postings on it and a cell phone with a text message from one of Serrapio's friends who had seen the messages.

    "LOL you can get in trouble for sayin' that," the text said.

    Serrapio replied that he was "challenging" the Secret Service and also issued threats against any agents who came looking for him.

    "I wanna kill at least two of them when they get here," Serrapio said in that text.

    Investigators said the only weapons Serrapio possessed were two pellet guns. He was originally charged with threatening the agents as well, but prosecutor Seth Schlessinger said that charge will be dropped.

    Serrapio said during the hearing he had just completed his second year of college. He declined through Ross to comment outside court.