Rene Betancourt went home Tuesday following 10 days at Jackson Memorial Hospital, where he began his recovery from a brutal beating in downtown Miami earlier this month. Betancourt, his father and Miami Police spokeswoman Kenia Reyes discuss the developments.
The South Florida man who was brutally beaten in downtown Miami earlier this month was released from the hospital Tuesday.
Rene Betancourt was sent home after spending the past 10 days at Jackson Memorial Hospital.
"I'm feeling good, I'm going home," Betancourt said as he left the hospital. "I'm in pain, I just want to go home."
The 22-year-old sustained severe injuries when he was attacked the night of July 7 in the area of Northeast 3rd Street and Biscayne Boulevard as he was going to meet up with a group of skateboarders.
On Tuesday, Betancourt said he felt lucky to be alive after the attack.
"I've been having a lot of support and I needed it and I'm grateful," he said. "I'm a lucky guy."
No arrests have been made in the beating, which left Betancourt with a fractured skull, fractured left orbital bone and blood clots in his head.
His father, Rene Betancourt Sr., said his son continues to recuperate.
"He's doing excellent, day by day the difference is incredible," he said. "His injuries, of course he's going to need therapy. He's going to need also an operation in his orbital bones in his eye. We don't know when."
He said his son doesn't really remember the attack, but police said they will need to talk to him in order to conclude the case.
"We don't talk too much about the incident. One time we talked and he told me that he hoped that God forgives them," he said.
Over the weekend, members of the Miami Long Board Crew, the skateboarding group Betancourt was on his way to meet, raised funds to help pay for his treatment.