National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

Ariel Castro Charged With Kidnapping, Rape in Cleveland Case: Authorities

His two brothers are not being charged, a prosecutor said

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Authorities announced charges Wednesday against Ariel Castro, 52, two days after three women were rescued from his Cleveland house about a decade after they were kidnapped. Cleveland Chief Assistant Prosecutor Victor Perez spoke about the case, as did four relatives of the rescued women: Maria Castro Montes, Beth Serrano, Nancy Ruiz and Barbara Knight. NBC 6's Christina Hernandez reports. (Published Wednesday, May 8, 2013)

    Authorities announced charges Wednesday against an Ohio man, two days after three women were rescued from his Cleveland house about a decade after they were kidnapped.

    “I just signed criminal complaints charging Ariel Castro with four counts of kidnapping and three counts of rape,” Cleveland Chief Assistant Prosecutor Victor Perez said.

    Castro, 52, allegedly held the three women in his home, restrained them with ropes and chains, and occasionally let them out into the backyard. The fourth kidnapping charge is for a daughter born to one of them while they were in captivity, authorities said.

    His two brothers, who were also arrested on Monday, are not being charged, Perez said.

    After 3 Women Turn Up Alive in Cleveland, Memories Resurface of Missing Children Cases in South Florida

    [MI] After 3 Women Turn Up Alive in Cleveland, Memories Resurface of Missing Children Cases in South Florida
    The story of three women who were rescued from a Cleveland house after they went missing a decade ago in their teens or early 20s has a happy ending – but it's bringing back sad memories of missing children cases in South Florida. NBC 6's Christina Hernandez reports on the kidnappings of 6-year-old Adam Walsh from 1981 and 10-year-old Jimmy Ryce from 1995. The tragic outcomes of those cases weigh heavily on private investigator Joe Carrillo, who spends a big part of his life working to find missing kids. He said the Ohio case isn't the first time that missing people believed to be dead have turned up alive – and he's positive it won't be the last. (Published Tuesday, May 7, 2013)

    “As it relates to Pedro and Onil Castro, no charges will be filed at this time,” he said. “There is no evidence these two had any involvement."

    Michelle Knight was the first to be kidnapped when she was 20. Then, Amanda Berry was abducted when she was 16. The next year, 14-year-old Gina DeJesus was taken.

    Ariel Castro was close with the DeJesus family. He helped them hand out fliers for Gina DeJesus after she went missing and even comforted her mother during a candlelight vigil just last year.

    “He fooled our family,” Castro’s cousin Maria Castro Montes said. “He fooled our community. He fooled his own children.”

    For the three women, it’s a homecoming about 10 years in the making. It was a media circus outside Amanda Berry’s home where she arrived with her 6-year-old daughter Wednesday.

    “I just want to say we are happy to have Amanda and her daughter home,” sister Beth Serrano said.

    Ohio Case Gives Hope for Missing Women in South Florida

    Gina DeJesus gave the media a big thumbs-up as she was walked inside her home.

    “I want to thank everybody that believed my daughter was out there,” said her mother, Nancy Ruiz. “Even the ones that doubted made me stronger.”

    Michelle Knight hasn’t had this kind of homecoming yet. She’s been in and out of the hospital a couple times since her rescue, but her mom is looking forward to a reunion.

    “I know she’s probably angry at the world because she probably didn’t think she’d be found, but thank God someone did,” her mother Barbara Knight said.