It's Monday, Aug. 12 – here are the 6 Things to Know:
Monday morning will be dry with partly cloudy skies and temperatures in the upper 70 degrees Fahrenheit. The afternoon will feature scattered storms with temperatures in the low-to-mid 90 degrees Fahrenheit. Check Today's Forecast.
The latest headlines:
1. The Pembroke Pines police officer injured is in critical condition following a crash over the weekend. A GoFundMe page has been established to help the officer and his family.
2. A former youth pastor from Pembroke Pines, Florida, facing charges of sexually battering a minor will appear in court Monday.
3. The U.S. Department of Justice and the FBI are investigating possible failures during the detention of accused sex trafficker Jeffrey Epstein, who died in an apparent suicide on Saturday.
4. A shooting occurred Sunday night in Little Haiti and officials are investigating the incident that occurred in the area of Northeast 55th Street and 2nd Avenue. One person was killed and a second was hospitalized.
5. School hasn't started yet but you may see school buses on the roads today. That's because bus drivers in Broward County are practicing their routes for the first day of school, which begins this Wednesday!
6. Some pets often get overlooked and left behind. Many shelters and rescues have coined the term Black Dog Syndrome to describe the frequency with which dark-coated animals are left behind.