A man convicted in a DUI crash that killed a couple on their way to Easter Sunday mass in 2003 was captured last week in Costa Rica.
Henry de la Hoz, 46, was a no-show in Miami-Dade court Monday to begin his 12-year prison sentence. He was convicted in the killings of husband and wife Victor and Olga Lisabet, who were driving to mass when de la Hoz crashed his car into them in Pinecrest.
"After 16 years of waiting for justice, and on the anniversary of their death, which was this past Saturday, I think finally justice will prevail," said the couple's daughter, Maria Lisabet-Aguirre.
De la Hoz pled guilty to two counts of DUI manslaughter and other charges back in 2008. A judge gave de la Hoz the maximum sentence of 12 years in prison and five years of probation in the plea agreement, but he never showed up to court.
"Well it's always something with this guy," said Victor Lisabet, the couple's son. "We never get justice and we have to wait another week for him to know that he’s actually going to go to jail."
But last week, the Lisabet family got the news that authorities captured de la Hoz in Costa Rica.
"And it's living and reliving it all over again," Aguirre said.
De la Hoz is expected to be in court for the last time next Wednesday to begin serving his prison sentence.