Elderly Woman and Tenant Survive Miami House Fire

The fire broke out early Monday morning at 1027 NW 66th Street.

An 85-year-old woman and her tenant made it out safely after a fire broke out in their Miami home.

The fire started after 3 a.m. Monday at 1027 NW 66th Street.

Officials said the woman, Claretha Howell, was asleep when a smoke detector went off, waking her up.

"When we came out it was just real smoky," neighbor Deanette Eckford said. "The smoke was coming all out around the roof and out the doors, it was black out here with smoke."

Neighbors rushed to help her when they heard her cries for help.

"She was screaming 'help, help' and then we finally got her down the stairs," neighbor Kevin Este said.

Howell and her tenant are under the care of the Red Cross as her insurance company takes care of the damage.

More Local Stories:

Contact Us