Yet another lobster diver has died while going after the tasty crustacean in Florida's waters, authorities said.
A man diving near Peck Lake Park yesterday lost consciousness after he returned to his boat, and was pronounced dead at the hospital, according to the Martin County Sheriff's Office.
It was the third death in just two day since the state's lobster sport season.
On Wednesday, a 48-year-old man from Sarasota was found dead off Haulover Beach and a 36-year-old Winter Beach man died after diving near the Sebastian Inlet in Brevard County. The 48-year-old had died after he disappeared in in 17-foot deep water. The 36-year-old apparently had a seizure while on a lobster dive.
Four other divers had to be rescued Wednesday near Pompano Beach after their boat began to go under as they tried to trap a group of lobsters. Fire rescue officials rescued another man who had disappeared near Fisher Island. He too was diving for lobster when he had a medical emergency.
A man was also found face-down near Marathon Key yesterday, but police said he hadn't been diving for lobsters.
The deaths are nothing new, as many divers risk life and limb to catch as many lobsters as they can during the state's mini-lobster season, which only last 48 hours. Five people died during last year's mini season.