Brian Hamacher

Man Loses 3 Fingers in North Lauderdale Fireworks Mishap

A man was hospitalized after he blew three fingers off his hand in a fireworks mishap in North Lauderdale Tuesday.

The incident happened in the 900 block of Southwest 80th Avenue. Officials said the 20-year-old Margate man was at his sister's home in North Lauderdale when he did major damage to his hand with the fireworks.

Witnesses said the man was apparently digging through the trash and debris looking for fireworks when there was an explosion.

"Boom, it was real loud," Vanniquea Williams said. "To be honest, I was looking for his fingers because I was trying to save his hand."

"It looks like they were digging through the trash to try and find little pieces of the debris from fireworks from yesterday and they found enough to get them into trouble," neighbor Grace Romero said.

Officials said the man was driving himself to the hospital when a family member flagged down fire rescue, who took him to Broward General Medical Center.

No other information was immediately known.

Contact Us