Across South Florida on Monday, various cities and organizations will hold events to celebrate the life of civil rights icon Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Here’s a list of the various locations in Miami-Dade and Broward where events will be taking place:
- Broward College will hold their day of service and give thousands of dollars in initiatives to communities in the county. The events start at 9 a.m. at Dillard High School in Fort Lauderdale and make various stops, ending at the Mount Olive Church located at 2251 NW 22nd Street in Fort Lauderdale.
- Deerfield Beach will hold their annual parade and picnic through the city starting at 10 a.m. at the Oveta McKeithan Rec Complex. The event is free to the public.
- Fort Lauderdale will start their parade at 9 a.m., with the event starting at Lincoln Park off 600 Northwest 19th Avenue and ending at Esplanade Park. A celebration will take place there from 10 a.m. until 2:30 p.m.
- Miramar will hold a free parade and celebration starting at 11 a.m. at Lakeshore Park, located at 8501 South Sherman Circle.
- Plantation will hold a celebration of Dr. King starting at 10 a.m. located at the Jim Ward Community Center (301 Northwest 46th Avenue).
- The county’s YMCA chapters will be holding days of service throughout Broward. For more info, call 954-334-9622.
- The annual MLK Day parade starting at 11 a.m. and going to 6 p.m. in Liberty City. The route, along Northwest 54th Street from 10th Avenue to 32nd Avenue, follows one of the routes that Dr. King would travel during his visits to the city.
- A 5K run and fitness walk will take place starting at 8 a.m. near the Metrorail Station at Northwest 62nd Street and 27th Avenue. Tickets range from $10 and $20 and for more info call 305-321-0388.
- Miami Gardens will hold their day of service and empowerment hosted by Mayor Oliver Gilbert and featuring hosts Stitches and Papa Keith from 103.5 The Beat. The event starts at 9:30 a.m. with an oratorical contest and later goes from noon to 7 p.m. at the Betty T. Ferguson Complex located at 18605 Northwest 27th Avenue.
- North Miami will hold their “United We Stand” day of service in the city starting at 7:30 a.m. and going until 2 p.m. at the Branches Lakeview located at 11500 Northwest 12th Avenue.
- South Miami will hold their second annual day of service from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the First United Methodist Church located at 6565 Red Road.