Body of Ryan Uhre Found in Tallahassee: Police

The body of the missing Florida State University graduate was found in a building Tuesday, Tallahassee Police said

The body of missing Florida State University graduate Ryan Uhre was found in a building in downtown Tallahassee Tuesday, more than two weeks after he disappeared, police said.

His body was found around 8:30 a.m. at the building in the area of College Avenue and Adams Street, Tallahassee Police spokesman Dave Northway said.

"Our hearts and our thoughts are with the family today, it is a somber time at TPD," Northway said.

Northway said the cause of death was unknown but that there was no suspicion of foul play.

The medical examiner will determine the cause of death, Northway said.

For 16 days Uhre's family held out hope that the 23-year-old would be found safe and sound.

"It's a horrible experience that as I said before I don’t wish on anyone,” his father Michael Uhre said Tuesday.

Holding back tears at times, he described the anguish he was feeling after learning that his son was found dead.

"It’s more heartbreaking than your son missing. There is some relief knowing that he’s not wandering out there, knowing he didn’t get abducted,” the father said.

Northway said officers had been canvassing the area in Tallahassee Tuesday morning after they saw a video that showed Uhre in the vicinity.

The officers noticed a second-story window that was previously boarded up had been exposed. When they investigated the window the officers discovered the body, Northway said.

Tallahassee Police earlier said they were looking for a man who is believed to have been in the same area as Uhre the night he disappeared.

A photo of the man (below), who is not considered a suspect in the case, was released by police late Monday night. The man is a pedestrian who happened to be walking in the area of downtown Tallahassee the night of Feb. 2, when Uhre was leaving Andrews Restaurant, police said.

Uhre, from Weston, disappeared after leaving the restaurant. He graduated from FSU in December, and went to high school at St. Thomas Aquinas High School in Broward.

Uhre was preparing to go to law school and was interning for Weston State Rep. Richard Stark.

Police had said they were working around the clock to find Uhre.

Family members held a prayer vigil on Sunday on the two-week anniversary of his disappearance.

"On some level our prayer vigil was successful. We asked that Ryan come home, we believe that he’s home, he’s home with God,” Michael Uhre said.

Police believe the man in the photo may have seen Uhre as he left the restaurant and may be able to help in the investigation into his disappearance.

Anyone with information about the man is asked to call police at 850-606-5800 or Crime Stoppers at 850-574-TIPS or 954-493-TIPS.

While investigators try and determine exactly what happened, Uhre said there is comfort in just knowing his son has been found.

"He’s safe, he’s safe with God and there’s nothing that’s happened in the past two weeks that we can change other than him coming home to us alive,” he said.

Contact Us