Mail Pipe Bomb Suspect Makes First New York Court Appearance Election Day; Ordered Held Without Bail - NBC 6 South Florida
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

Mail Pipe Bomb Suspect Makes First New York Court Appearance Election Day; Ordered Held Without Bail

Cesar Sayoc is accused of sending improvised explosive devices to numerous Democrats, Trump critics and media outlets

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Accused Mail Bomber Faces Judge as Another Package Surfaces

    Accused mail bomber faces a judge in Florida as yet another package was intercepted, this one intended for the CNN office in Atlanta. Ray Villeda reports. (Published Tuesday, Oct. 30, 2018)

    The man accused of sending pipe bombs to prominent critics of President Donald Trump made his first court appearance Tuesday in New York and has been ordered held without bail. 

    Cesar Sayoc made his first court appearance on Tuesday in federal court in Manhattan following his transfer from Florida. His attorneys had said last week in Miami that it would be better if his lawyers in New York could take the case as soon as possible.

    Sayoc has been accused of sending improvised explosive devices to numerous Democrats, Trump critics and media outlets in a scare that heightened tensions before the crucial midterm elections, happening the same day as his court appearance.

    None of the devices exploded and no one was injured.

    Cesar Sayoc Jr. Arrested in Connection With Mail BombsCesar Sayoc Jr. Arrested in Connection With Mail Bombs

    Florida resident Cesar Sayoc Jr. was arrested Friday in connection with mail bombs sent to several prominent Democrats and others who have been critical of President Donald Trump.

    (Published Friday, Oct. 26, 2018)

    Prosecutors told a judge that Sayoc presents a flight risk and is a serious danger to the public. The defense did not argue this point.

    Sayoc faces nearly 50 years in prison if convicted on five federal charges that were filed in New York because some of the devices were recovered there.

    During his court appearance, which lasted about 12 minutes, Sayoc looked at the judge the entire time, answering "yes, sir" to all of the judge's questions.

    He also asked for a court-appointed attorney.

    Sayoc's next hearing is scheduled for Nov. 11.

    Sayoc was arrested a week ago outside a South Florida auto parts store in a van in which he had been living, a vehicle covered with stickers of Trump and showing images of some of the president's opponents with red crosshairs over their faces.

    His lawyers decided not to seek release on bail after prosecutors released a letter outlining more evidence against him, including DNA linking him to 10 of the explosive devices and fingerprints on two of them.

    Other evidence includes online searches Sayoc did on his laptop and cellphone for addresses and photos of some of his intended targets, which included former President Barack Obama, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, former Vice President Joe Biden, California Sen. Kamala Harris and New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker. Packages were also mailed to CNN in New York and Atlanta.

    Prosecutors say the most recent crude bomb was recovered Friday in California, addressed to the liberal activist Tom Steyer.

    None of the devices exploded, and no one was injured in the pipe bomb scare.