Kids Flee Burning RV After Deadly Police Chase - NBC 6 South Florida
National & International News
The day’s top national and international news

Kids Flee Burning RV After Deadly Police Chase



    RV Chase Ends With Driver Dead from Gunshot: Police

    New video has been released in the deadly cross-county RV chase, in which two children and their mother were kidnapped and taken for a ride that ended in a ball of fire. The mother jumped out midway through the chase after being shot. She's recovering in the hospital. The kids were pulled out of the RV and are OK. But their father, the driver, died after police say he shot himself. (Published Thursday, May 25, 2017)

    Police say a man is dead after leading authorities on a chase through four North Texas counties in a recreational vehicle with two children inside after shooting a woman early Thursday.

    Arlington police said Hunt County Sheriff’s deputies received a 911 text from 33-year-old Candie Crystal Price who said she was inside the RV and had been shot. She added that she had been kidnapped and that her two children were inside, as well.

    A Caddo Mills police officer spotted the RV near the intersection of Farm-to-Market Road 1903 and Interstate 30 just before 3 a.m., according to police. Authorities said Price jumped out of the RV, which was traveling nearly 90 mph, when she saw the police car.

    Price was transported to Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas for treatment for gunshot wounds and injuries sustained in her jump from the vehicle. Hunt County Sheriff's deputies said she underwent surgery and remained in critical condition Thursday.

    Police say Tony Kelly, Sr. lead police on a chase in an RV through four North Texas counties before fatally shooting himself Thursday morning.
    Photo credit: Tony Kelly, Jr.

    The RV continued west on I-30 through Rockwall and Dallas counties during the next 30 minutes as multiple police departments joined the pursuit. Police said they used spike strips, damaging the RV's tires and slowing the pursuit to about 20 mph as the driver, identified as Tony Kelly Sr., approached Tarrant County.

    The pursuit continued on westbound I-30 into Arlington until Kelly stopped near Cooper Street at about 4:40 a.m. Police said officers approached the RV, opened the door and let out two children described as a 1-year-old and a 3-year-old.

    As officers grabbed the children, police said they reported hearing a single gunshot. The vehicle then caught fire.

    Arlington Police Department spokesman Lt. Chris Cook confirmed Kelly was found deceased in the RV.

    Officers were seen escorting the children to an ambulance and transported to Arlington Memorial Hospital. Their conditions were not released.

    Hunt County Sheriff’s Office and Rockwall police are investigating the shooting of the woman, according to authorities. Arlington police are investigating Kelly's death.

    All westbound lanes of I-30 were closed until about 10 a.m. Various eastbound lanes of the interstate were closed until about 7 a.m.

    Karen Sinwald told NBC DFW she was driving from Greenville to her workplace in West Fort Worth when she caught up with the chase.

    "I've been driving this route for 16 years and I've seen it all," she said. "I'm scared for the kids, not knowing what they went through at the beginning and to the end. They must've been terrified."

    Price's sister-in-law, Lois Woodard, said she got a text from Price at 1:17 a.m.

    "Sorry to text you so late," Woodard said, reading the text. "I got shot two times in a robbery. I don't know what to say, but I love you."

    Woodard said she believed Price was covering up for her on-again-off-again boyfriend. She called Price's phone at 1:27 a.m.

    "She said, 'Tony don't shoot me,'" Woodard said, recalling what she heard on the other other end of the line. "And the next thing I heard, 'Pow!'"

    Woodard said she called hospitals and police, not knowing what happened.

    Children of RV Chase Suspect Say Father 'Snapped'

    The grown children of the man who led police on a chase through several North Texas counties early Thursday say their father was not a monster, despite police saying he kidnapped a shot the mother of their two young children in front of them.

    "I just miss my dad," said Olivia Kelly.

    "My dad is not a monster," said her brother Tony Kelly Jr.

    The siblings spoke with NBC 5, wanting to set the record straight about what they claim led to the fiery tragedy in Arlington on Thursday morning.

    Tony Kelly Jr. said he was on the phone with his father as police chased after his RV.

    "Of course, I was trying to talk him out of it, trying to talk him down, but at the time all I could say was I love him too, because I already know I couldn't change his mind because it had already gone too far," he said.

    The young man said his father's on-again-off-again girlfriend of five years, Price, showed up at his work in Garland on Wednesday evening, "picking a fight," and he said his father "snapped."

    Police say Tony Kelly Sr. kidnapped the woman and their two young sons and took off in his RV.

    Tony Kelly Jr. was on the phone with his father in the final seconds of the chase. Police say Tony Kelly Sr. then shot himself and his RV caught fire.

    The man's son said his father's last words to him were, "that he did not die May 25th, he died February 11th when she tried to kill him."

    Tony Kelly Jr. claims his father was in a tumultuous relationship with Price.

    On Feb. 11, 2017, Dallas police confirm Kelly filed an aggravated assault family violence report against the woman.

    Tony Kelly Jr. and other family members claim Price tried to kill his father with pills.

    "From that day forward he just wanted revenge. It was horrible. I don't know what it was," Tony Kelly Jr. said.

    "Is my dad a monster? No. Was he wrong for shooting her? Yes. But, was he a monster? No. He was not a monster. He had a family that loved him. He loved his family. He loved all his kids," Tony Kelly Jr. added.

    NBC 5's Holley Ford contributed to this report.