What to Know
- Officers say the trio used a key hidden outside the home to get inside, where they waited for Tony Conway to return home.
- All three teens appeared before a judge Wednesday and now wait for a grand jury to decide if they will be charged as adults in the case.
Three teens will be charged as adults for allegedly breaking into a Miami-Dade man's home and murdering him earlier this year.
The teens – two 16 year old girls and a 17 year old boy – will appear in court again on January 29th to face charges of first-degree murder and armed robbery.
All three were arrested on January 4th after police say they broke into the home of Tony Conway off NW 103rd Street and 13th Avenue. Officers say the trio used a key hidden outside the home to get inside, where they waited for Conway to return home.
An arrest report said once he entered, the teens robbed Conway and shot him in the stomach. The 49-year-old made it outside to a common area before collapsing and later being pronounced dead.
"They need to pay for what they did because they didn’t have to kill him,” said the victim’s mother, Helen Fox, to NBC 6 earlier this year. “He didn’t do nothing to them. It’s not like they were in a fight or something. He didn’t do anything. He was innocent so they shouldn’t have done that, they shouldn’t have killed my son."
In court Thursday, defense attorneys questioned the victim's lifestyle.
"Whether or not he solicited young people, young girls to his dwelling space for all the wrong reasons and potentially they were there for that motive," defense attorney Jordan Lewin said.
The three teens are due back in court on Jan. 29. Prosecutors say there could be two other juveniles involved in the murder.