Hoverboard Catches Fire in Weston: BSO Fire Rescue - NBC 6 South Florida

Hoverboard Catches Fire in Weston: BSO Fire Rescue

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Hoverboard Catches Fire in Weston: BSO Fire Rescue

    Firefighters responded after a hoverboard caught fire at a home in Weston Thursday, Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue officials said. (Published Thursday, June 30, 2016)

    Firefighters responded after a hoverboard caught fire at a home in Weston Thursday, Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue officials said.

    The incident happened at a home in the 100 block of Lakeview Drive, officials said.

    Officials said a child was riding the hoverboard then started charging it, and an hour later it exploded in the living room.

    Four kids and an adult were home at the time but no one was injured, officials said.

    "I heard a lot of kids coming out, running out, they were screaming and they said 'it's a blast in our apartment and fire,'" neighbor Annul Khurshi said.

    A construction crew that was working next door unplugged the burning device and the fire was out by the time firefighters arrived.

    The fire caused about $1,000 in damage to the home, officials said.

    "You get what you pay for, you want to look for something that has an approval seal, something that has been tested and approved," BSO Fire Rescue spokesman Mike Jachles said.