3 Kids, 2 Adults Hospitalized for Carbon Monoxide Issue at Miami Gardens School: Miami-Dade Fire Rescue

Three children and two adults were hospitalized after an incident involving carbon monoxide at an elementary school in Miami Gardens Wednesday, officials said.

The incident was reported at Carol City Elementary at 4375 Northwest 173rd Drive. Footage from the scene showed several fire rescue crews at the school.

Miami-Dade Fire Rescue officials said crews responded to the school after receiving a call about a person not feeling well. When firefighters walked into the school their detectors went off immediately, officials said.

School officials said the issue may have come from a truck that was delivering items to the school. A hazmat unit evacuated the school and ventilated the building.

All five patients were taken by ground to local hospitals, officials said. Three others were treated at the scene.

Wednesday was a teacher planning day at Miami-Dade County Public Schools, but it's possible the kids who were there may be the children of teachers or staff.

The incident remains under investigation. School officials said they don't anticipate any issues with school operations on Thursday.

Check back with NBC 6 for updates.

Contact Us