Florida Boy, 1, Dies Day After Choking on Toy at Day Care

Officials say a toddler died a day after choking on a toy at a Jacksonville, Florida, day care.

The Florida Times-Union reports that the Florida Department of Children and Families says the 1-year-old boy died Friday.

The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office says the boy had been rushed to Wolfson Children's Hospital Thursday afternoon. Doctors told police he was in critical condition and suffering from major brain damage.

State officials say the choking incident occurred at Tip Top 24 Hour Learning Center.

No criminal charges were immediately filed, but law enforcement was investigating.

The child was identified by his family as Malik Earl Baker. Nurses at the hospital performed CPR on Malik six times, NBC affiliate WTLV reports.

"He was a happy baby, healthy ... full of love," Amber Lee, the child's mother, said. "I just lost my mom a few months ago, and now I have to explain to [my three other children] ... I don't think it's really hit them yet that their brother's not coming home."

Lee said she wants the day care held responsible.

"My child should not have been left in the room unattended for any period of time," she said. "If there's that many children and they're all in one room, there should be more than one person in there at all times."

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us