Propane Leak in Coconut Grove Forces Hundreds to Evacuate

A propane gas leak forced hundreds of residents in Coconut Grove to evacuate Wednesday.

City of Miami Fire Rescue officials said they responded to a building in the area of Bird Road and 27th Avenue around 8:30 a.m. after someone reported smelling gas.

A liquid propane tank was found under the building, and the owner of the building told officials he was unaware it was there. Officials said the safest option was to burn off the liquid in the tank.

Fire officials removed the defective valve and deemed the area safe after 12 hours. Residents were allowed to go back to their homes.

Up 300 people in eight buildings were evacuated. Authorities also set up a perimeter in the area.

Contact Us