NBC

‘Hoverboard' Explodes in Fort Lauderdale Home

A Fort Lauderdale family is cleaning up after a child's hoverboard exploded in their living room.

The family, who reside in the 200 block of Delaware Avenue, told NBC 6 they were home Friday afternoon when they heard a loud noise. They went into the living room to discover the hoverboard had exploded.

One of the family members ran to put the fire out and call the fire department. Fort Lauderdale Fire responded and got the fire under control.

The mother of the family, Kaudrica Hunter, said, "I was convinced by my kids to buy them because they seen other kids with them. I was convinced by my kids to buy them and I went out and purchased them and this is what happened."

Thankfully no one was injured, but the family's floor and couch were both severely damaged by the flames.

According to the homeowner, the hoverboard wasn't being charged and it wasn't being used, it just spontaneously combusted.

"There has been multiple reports across the nation of this occurring, this is the first time in the City of Fort Lauderdale, but they are dangerous and they do need to be supervised and watched," said Capt. Gregory May of Fort Lauderdale Fire-Rescue.

There have been a number of similar reports of the two-wheeled electronic scooters bursting into flames while charging or during use.

Hoverboard sellers have warned against knock-offs that use bottom-shelf components, according to an NBC News report.

"There are no safety standards for these self-balancing products. That is unacceptable," Consumer Product Safety Commission Chairman Elliot Kaye said in a statement. "There are certain basic safety technologies we expect these units to have that should prevent overheating and potential combustion."

It's recommended that families wear helmets, keep the device away from combustible materials, and keep a fire extinguisher handy.

Contact Us