The Brewer Burning Case: A Timeline

Many twists and turns led to the sentencing Wednesday of two teens who attempted to murder Michael Brewer

Oct. 12, 2009

Five teenagers were arrested for dousing Michael Brewer, 15, with rubbing alcohol and setting him on fire, police said.

The teens arrested were Matthew Bent and Denver Jarvis, both 15, Steven Shelton and Jesus Mendez, both 16, and Jeremy Jarvis, 13, who were former friends and attended Deerfield Beach Middle School with Brewer.

He saved his life by jumping into a nearby pool. Over the course of a year, Brewer underwent four skin drafts, airway repair, months of physical therapy, and respiratory problems.

Oct. 14, 2009

The authorities said the conflict arose when Brewer accepted a video game from Matthew Bent and agreed to pay him $40, but hadn’t paid up yet.

Oct. 16, 2009

The chilling call to 911 was released, including Brewer’s cry for help.

Oct. 21, 2009

Jeremy Jarvis is deemed competent to stand trial.

Nov. 5, 2009

Brewer’s sister, Malissa Durkee, found a boy and girl doll fused together by the hands and feet and burned in her pool.

Nov. 9, 2009

Shelton and Jeremy Jarvis were released and their charges dismissed, as prosecutors decided to try the other three boys as adults.

Nov. 13, 2009

Brewer spoke for the first time since he was attacked.

Nov. 19, 2009

The three teens accused of setting Brewer on fire pleaded not guilty in their first court appearance.

Nov. 24, 2009

Jeremy Jarvis spoke for the first time since the attack. "I want to express my deepest sympathy for Mikey and his family," the 13-year-old said. "I will pray for Mikey to grow stronger every day."

Dec. 22, 2009

Brewer was released from Jackson Memorial Hospital for the holidays.

Jan. 3, 2010

Brewer was taken back to the hospital after suffering from respiratory distress.

Jan. 7, 2010

Brewer returned back home.

Jan. 8, 2010

Jesus Mendez was granted $250,000 bail by a Broward judge.

Jan. 13, 2010

Brewer's sister's house in Deerfield Beach was targeted twice by thieves.

March 24, 2010

Brewer visited a girl in a coma at the hospital whose head stomped on by bullies.

April 21, 2010

Brewer goes back to school, beginning his studies at Jeaga Middle School in West Palm Beach.

June 16, 2010

Jeremy Jarvis, 14, was arrested again, this time on burglary charges.

June 21, 2010

Lawyers of the teen burning suspects fought to keep their jailhouse phone conversations private.

Sept. 8, 2010

Jeremy Jarvis pleaded not guilty on burglary charges.

Sept. 20, 2010

Brewer completed his burn treatments, less a year later from his attack.

Oct. 11, 2010

Brewer celebrated his 16th birthday, almost a year after he was burned.

Oct. 12, 2010

Brewer said he “feels amazing” one year after the burning incident.

Oct. 20, 2010

Bent, Denver Jarvis and Mendez, all 16, rejected a plea deal offered by prosecutors. The terms were not disclosed.

Oct. 22, 2010

Brewer faced the three teens that set him on fire for the first time since the incident, in court.

Feb. 25, 2011

Bent was granted $250,000 bail from a judge.

Feb. 15, 2012

Mendez, 18, and Denver Jarvis, 17, pleaded no contest to attempted second-degree murder. Mendez was sentenced to 11 years in prison followed by 19 years of probation, and Jarvis was sentenced to eight years in prison followed by 22 years of probation.

Bent, 17, decided not to plead no contest, and his trial was scheduled for March.

"I think they should get longer but that's alright, I know they're going to mess up anyway," Brewer said outside the courtroom. "They knew exactly what they were doing and it doesn't mean anything, how old or how young they are, they knew exactly what they were doing."

Contact Us