Mother Claims Post-Partum Depression Led to Near-Drowning of Baby

Police say a mother was charged with two counts of attempted premeditated murder after she was overheard telling her husband that she "did it again"  when her baby was found unresponsive next to a canal.

Inasheka S. Armour was charged Tuesday evening after her 3-month-old boy, Cayden Armour, was found unresponsive in Miramar.

The child was found in the grass next to a canal in the Riviera Isles community in Miramar around 5:20 p.m. Tuesday, police said.

He was found by a passerby who called 911 and began performing CPR. Police said Armour admitted to the passerby that she wanted to kill her child.

Miramar Police said the incident appeared to be a near-drowning. Police said Armour pulled the baby out of the water when he started turning blue and laid him on the grass and that's when a nurse drove by.

"She stopped and asked if everything was okay. Shortly thereafter, she began administering CPR," said Tania Rues of Miramar Police.

Another witness who stopped at the scene lent Armour a cell phone to call her husband. Police said she was heard saying, "I did it again,  you need to get over here," in reference to attempting to kill her child. That led to a second attempted murder charge.

Once police arrived at the scene, they took over the life-saving efforts and the baby was revived.

The baby was first taken to Memorial Hospital in Miramar and was later transported to Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital where he remains in critical condition.

Police took Armour into custody when the baby was found. It is unclear if she has an attorney.

According to police, family members say Armour had been struggling with post-partum depression. The baby's father, Conlan Armour, told police the family did their best to make sure Armour was always with someone else when she was in the presence of the child, police said.

According to the police report, the husband told police that his wife tried to hurt the baby previously by intentionally giving him adult cough syrup. Police said Inasheka told them in an interview after her arrest she also tried to smother the baby with a pillow during the cough medicine incident, but her mother intervened.

Inasheka remains in jail and is under a suicide watch.

Contact Us