Russia's annual Pancake Week (explained in this video) is supposed to be a festive occasion, sort of a Russian Mardi Gras. But this year it turned tragic when a man choked and died as he tried to swallow the final bites of his 43rd pancake after winning a pancake-eating contest.
Boris Isayev, a 48-year-old Russian collapsed and died on stage in a weekend competition that was part of Pancake Week. One witness said Isayev "started foaming at the mouth and went down like a sack of stones." There were paramedics nearby, but they were not able to revive him.
It's a scary reminder that competitive eating events, including America's Fourth of July hot dog eating contest, have inherent risks and aren't always just harmless fun.