Man Hospitalized After Fireworks Mishap in Lauderhill

Man seriously injured after powerful fireworks explode, officials said

View Comments (


    Four were injured after a barbecue exploded in Hialeah Gardens and one man suffered hearing loss and facial lacerations after a fireworks exploded in his face in Lauderhill. NBC 6's Diana Gonzalez has the story.

    A man celebrating the July 4th holiday in Lauderhill was hospitalized after the powerful fireworks he was setting off caused severe injuries, officials said.

    The incident happened Thursday night in the 8600 block of Northwest 45th Court, Lauderhill Fire Rescue spokesman Lt. Jerry Gonzalez said.

    Elderly Couple Pulled Out of Water in Fort Lauderdale

    According to Gonzalez, the man was lighting a two-year-old mortar firework, the kind that is illegal in Florida, in a front yard when it exploded, causing a bad gash, lacerations, third-degree burns and hearing loss.

    Thousands Celebrate July 4th at Fireworks Display in Coral Gables

    [MI] Thousands Celebrate July 4th at Fireworks Display in Coral Gables
    Thousands of people converged on the Biltmore Hotel in Coral Gables to celebrate the Fourth of July with a fireworks display.

    "He went to light it, he thought it was lit and he stepped back. It didn't go off," Gonzalez said. "He was approaching it again to check what was going on. He put his head directly over it and it fired right on his face."

    Emergency workers responded and the man was rushed to Broward General Medical Center in very serious condition, Gonzalez said. He hasn't been identified.

    More Local Stories: